In an age of smartphones, one may wonder why they need a voice recorder in the first place. Why would you need to buy a voice recorder when you can just do it on your phone?
The reason is pretty much the same reason as why you still want a DSLR even though your phone has a camera. Just like how a phone takes average pictures at best, their audio recording software is subpar.
Whether you’re an aspiring journalist or just want to record someone without them knowing, you need your own separate voice recorder, and we’re here to tell you which is the best.
Today, we’re comparing the DR-05 by Tascam and pitting it against the same brand’s DR-22WL. Which is the better value? Let’s find out.
First, we’ll look at the cost of each recorder by comparing a new unit from the official seller’s Amazon page. As of this article, the DR-05 is going for about $77, and you can abu a recorder with a 16GB memory card for $20 more.
Meanwhile, the DR-22WL is going for $107.95. So one recorder is a bit more expensive than the other, especially if you choose to buy the DR-05 without the card.
If you don’t choose to buy the memory card bundle, the DR-05 comes with 2GB of storage. The DR-22WL has 4GB included, making it the clear winner if you don’t buy the bundle.
When picking a recorder, you need to have one that has decent storage. You don’t want to run out of storage right as your subject is about to say something important!
Just like how you wouldn’t want to be caught with a full memory card while you’re recording, you also don’t want to have a low battery.
The DR-05 has a whopping 17.5 hours of recording, and you can power it by USB, AC, or by two AA batteries, so there’s no excuse not to have backup.
Meanwhile, the DR-22WL only has an option for AA batteries, and doesn’t specify exact battery life. Therefore, the DR-05 wins this one.
Both recorders contain omnidirectional microphones and controllers to prevent sound clipping, and both have options to record in different formats such as MP3 or WAV.
Perhaps the most distinguishing feature is the DR-22WL’s Wi-Fi capabilities. You can login to the Internet and send your files to your phone or computer for extra security. Great if you need your sound files out of your recorder ASAP.
Which is Better?
Even though the Wi-Fi feature is cool, you still have to login to a public Wi-Fi spot, which can be tricky. The DR-05 wins out because of its bundle, which provides tons of storage while still being cheaper than the DR-22WL.
Also, the DR-05 has so many ways to charge it, so you won’t be caught with a low battery. That’s why the DR-05 wins!
We hope this article helped you to make a more informed decision. Happy shopping!
Other Audio Recorder Comparisons
- Tascam dr-05 vs. Zoom h4n: Two Great Portable Recording Devices
- Tascam dr-100 mkii vs. Zoom h4n: Which portable recording device will help deliver your best recordings possible?
- Yamaha Pocketrak pr7 vs. Zoom h2n: Which portable recording device will you choose?
- Zoom h4n vs. Tascam dr-60d: Two Fantastic Portable Audio Recording Devices
- Tascam dr-22wl vs. Zoom h1: Portable Recording Devices
- Zoom h1 vs. h4n: What is the difference between these two Zoom portable recording devices?
- Zoom H1 vs. H5: Which portable recorder will fit your needs best?
- Yamaha pr7 vs. Zoom h1: which one will you use to record all your special tracks?
- Tascam im2 vs. Mikey Digital: Which one will you choose to turn your Apple product into a portable digital recorder?
- Sony pcm-d100 vs. Zoom h6: Battle of the heavy duty portable digital audio recorders!
- Tascam dr-40 vs. Zoom h2n: Two great portable recorder options
- Zoom h4n vs. Tascam dr-40: Portable Recording Device Options
- TASCAM DR-07MKII vs. DR-05: Two TASCAM portable digital recorders worth the look!
- TASCAM DR-07MKII vs. Zoom H1: The battle of the portable digital recorders
- TASCAM DR-07MKII vs. Zoom H2N: Two portable digital recorders that can go wherever inspiration leads you!